Saturday, July 30, 2005

Indie Babe

Ella's good tasteIt was bound to happen. She had discovered almost every other interesting thing to get her hands (and mouth) on – plants, wine rack, coffee table magazines, dog toys – so it was only a matter of time before she came across the CDs.

They say diamonds are a girl’s best friend, but I suggest that jewel cases come in a close second. All those glittery plastic cases with vibrant cover art, who could resist?! Given the sheer number of them hanging out by the stereo (arranged alphabetically AND categorically), it’s obvious that I am also quite susceptible to their charms.

That's what I'm talkin' 'boutThe CDs began to beckon to Ella about two weeks ago. Ella promptly crawled over and sat down in front of the two towering racks. She quickly surveyed the collection, and then reached in. Now what happens next is exactly the kind of thing that makes an indie rocker dad proud. Out of the 300+ CDs, she picks out Interpol. The “Antics” album if you must know.

I think she rather enjoyed the high contrast cover art. So much so, that she quickly put it to her mouth to make the experience even more visceral. It could also be that she’s only 9-months old, and everything goes in her mouth. But who am I to question such things?

Ella's more populist choiceThe next venture to the wall of CDs yielded a recent U2 album. Definitely not indie, but a respectable choice all the same. While it may still be too early to tell, I am encouraged by my daughter’s musical leanings thus far. Just today, she pulled out a Death Cab for Cutie album and then proceeded to crank the stereo while an Eels CD was playing. While I was concerned that she might have blown the speakers, I certainly couldn’t fault her for wanting to turn it up.