Monday, January 30, 2006

Tendons Mount at SAG Awards

Marcia Cross at SAG AwardsIt’s officially awards season. Coming hot off the heels of the Golden Globes, the Screen Actors Guild announced its awards last night. As a predecessor to the Oscars, the SAG Awards is often seen as the award show that nobody watches.

If you really care, Reese Witherspoon and Philip Seymour Hoffman walked away with the top awards. The big news was that the Brokeback Mountain stars didn’t garner any of the creepy statuettes.

Frankly, I’m not too surprised, as the awards usually go to actors who take daring roles that play against type. Reese Witherspoon as a country singer?? Philip Seymour Hoffman as a creepy author – those were stretches. Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger as gay cowboys?! Come on! You might as well give an award to Rob Schneider for playing a lecherous loser in Deuce Bigalow, European Gigolo.

Of course, all the awards shows are just a vehicle for celebrities to showcase their fashion sense, or lack thereof. Wardrobe consultants make a lot of money; however, there is one elusive fashion tip that they seem to lose sight of – find a dress that flatters the actor's body.

Thandie Newton back from the deadWhile some outfits followed that rule at this year’s SAG Awards (see Marcia Cross’ flattering gown above), some did not. For those of you who may be reading this over lunch, I apologize in advance for posting this photo of Thandie Newton. It appears as if she may have died a few weeks back and was recently revived. She needs to cover up until she gets some meat back on her bones. Note to Thandie: pronounced tendons are not sexy.

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Four Things

FourAgainst my better judgment, I’m participating in this meme. I do it as a favor to Doug, who passed it along to me with high expectations. I take solace in the fact that it doesn’t have anything to do with totem polls, dancing smiley faces or inspiring narratives. Plus, it only exhorts me to pass it on to 4 people, and not everyone in my address book.

Four jobs I’ve had

  1. Cashier at the Home of the Whopper.
  2. A mime in Birmingham, England
  3. Overhead Projector Light Bulb Changer
  4. Postman in Del Mar, CA

Four movies I can watch over and over

  1. The Princess Bride
  2. The Nightmare Before Christmas
  3. Casablanca
  4. Star Wars (episodes IV & V)

Four places I’ve lived

  1. Roanoke, VA
  2. Albuquerque, NM
  3. Santa Barbara, CA
  4. San Francisco, CA

Four TV shows I love to watch

  1. Arrested Development. (Everyone pray that Showtime picks it up)
  2. The Office. (It gets funnier every week)
  3. Scrubs.
  4. American Dad.

(Yes, you’ve guessed correctly, I don’t have cable)

Four places I’ve been on vacation

  1. Florence, Italy
  2. Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica
  3. Cuzco, Peru
  4. Budapest, Hungary

Four of my favorite dishes

  1. Baked Rigatoni (Old Venice)
  2. BBQ Ribs (Phil’s BBQ)
  3. Teriyaki Ahi (Dolphin Café)
  4. Pollo Asado Burrito (La Cumbré)

Four sites I visit daily

  1. Yahoo!’s Most Emailed Photos
  2. Go Fug Yourself
  3. The Superficial
  4. Spoofee

What an exciting list.

Four places I’d rather be right now

  1. San Francisco
  2. Costa Rica
  3. London
  4. Paris

Four bloggers I’m tagging

  1. Unfortunately, apart from Doug, my friends don’t blog.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Hollywood Fashions Drew Attention to the Golden Globes

Golden globesThe Golden Globes always draws a lot of media attention -- as much for the Hollywood fashions as the awards themselves. This year’s gala event was no different. All eyes were on the golden globes last night. (I forgo capitalization for this reference in the same manner that Drew Barrymore forewent undergarments in her headlighting appearance.)

Thankfully, other stars exercised more discretion/self respect in their wardrobe choices, such as Felicity Huffman, Kiera Knightly and Reese Witherspoon. These fashions stand in stark contrast to those worn by fashion offenders Mariah Carey, Michelle Williams and Melanie Griffith.

Scarlett GlobesI’m not sure where I stand on Scarlett Johanssen’s crimson couture. While it certainly appeals on a certain level (and I think you know which one I’m talking about), I think it detracts from her overall attractiveness, which can stand on its own merits without the help of other abundant and overflowing features.

Of course, If you’re like me, you’ll want to make your own judgments – which is why I’ve provided a collection of links that showcase the night's fashions. Enjoy. And criticize. That’s what these award shows are all about.

- iVillage.com Slide Show
- E! Online Slide Show
- Hollywood Foreign Press Association Photos

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Headline of the Day: iPod Gets in Your Pants

in your pantsThere's been a lot of news about Apple lately - what with MacWorld, CES, etc. That's in addition to the requisite, daily iPod news that reporters put out to fill their quotas.

One of the new “news” items is iPod-friendly clothing. In addition to backpacks and jackets with built in controls, Levi’s is now making a pair of jeans with a docking station, headphones, etc. Essential stuff for any music-loving, money-throwing-away, iPod fanatic.

I refuse to cover this in more detail, except to acknowledge one of the better headlines announcing the news. It comes from Motely Fool: “iPod Gets in Your Pants.”

God bless those fools. That’s journalism at its finest.