Thursday, November 06, 2008

I’m Barack! Obama Brings Random Banter Out of Hiatus

Barack ObamaI’m 37 years old, and I’ve never been so captivated or moved by a presidential election. As soon as Barack threw his hat into the ring to run for president, I knew there was something special about him. A few months into his campaign, I came to realize that he would be an excellent president. However, I was worried that there was no way the American people would elect a black man named Barack Hussein Obama. I’ve never been so grateful to be wrong.

America has shown that it recognizes the qualities of a great leader and can tear down racial divides and scare-tactics to elect him. Obama has a big job ahead of him, but I trust that he is the best man for the job. One might argue his lack of executive experience, but the discipline and strategy he employed with his campaign demonstrates his capabilities. Plus, he has the intellectual chops and relentless drive to quickly get up to speed on any topic necessary.

As a writer, I was also drawn in by an AP story today entitled, “Writers welcome a literary president-elect.” While the ability to turn a phrase isn’t a requirement of the presidency, it’s a welcome change to the last 8 years - and I think it will help restore respect for our country abroad. I relish not being able to cringe at future white house press conferences.

The election of Barack Obama is a historic occasion, and I hope it’s more than a political milestone, but instead a turning-point for our nation, marking a shift towards greater integrity in our domestic and foreign policies.

No comments: